About Me

My photo
I am 24 years old and a student at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in English and Secondary Education. I am currently expecting my first child, due August 10, 2010. I started this blog for my EDM 310 class and I hope you all enjoy reading my posts!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Blog post for 2/28

This is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2

Richard Miller shows us in this video just how much things have changed. Information used to be found and discovered in books. Reading used to be a solitary event. These days you don't have to go to the library to do research. Everything is at your fingertips on the world wide web. Information can be found within minutes of logging on. One example he used was the past election. Voters could log on and see how the votes were stacking up. No need to wait for a television update.

Mr. Miller's second video shows us the ever changing information on the internet. The information found on the web changes everyday. New information about topics are uploaded to the internet on a daily basis. He mentions the use of iTunes University. Tons of college students have downloaded lectures using this tool. He also says that he realizes that availability of these assets are not possible all over the world, but he definitely sees a time when that will change.

Overall I really enjoyed watching these videos. Mr. Miller has an interesting view on what's going on with technology now, and what could be to come. Technology is gaining ground all over the place, especially in education. I don't know exactly how I'll be able to incorporate technology in my teaching, as far as the availability in my school, but I hope that I will get the opportunity to inspire my students by using the technology I'm learning about right now.

The Networked Student

This video shows us the importance of a PLN, Personal Learning Network. It shows that by connecting with other people and organizations that you can learn just as much as you would in a normal class setting. Networked students are allowed to explore things on their own and find networks that benefit them most. Students, including myself, often get tired and worn out by sitting and listening to a teacher lecture for and hour. A lot of information is often lost travelling from teacher to student. Where as with a student learning on his/her own, they are completely responsible for the information they retain.

When asked, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" I actually had to go back to the video. The teacher is needed to guide and direct students in the right direction. The teacher also shows the student how to build the network, how to communicate properly and how to differentiate between useful information and propaganda. Without the teacher, I'm sure the student wouldn't even know where to begin.

I'm really not sure if I'm ready to teach networked students. I'm more of a hands on, old fashioned type of teacher. I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the concept of the networked student. However I am eager to learn how to become a networked student myself and to learn how to teach other networked students.

Toward A New Future of Whatever

This video is so great! Michael Wesch is able to show us the difference in generations. He starts off by talking about the MTV generation. Then he went on to talk about the invention of the word "whatever". In the 60's the main phrase was "I don't care. Whatever (you think)." Then in the 90's it became "Whatever (I don't care what you think)". I say the word "whatever" quite a few times a day. When he started talking about this, I had to start thinking of which meaning of the word I was using.

He goes on to talk about YouTube. He shares with us that everyday there are 1 billion videos uploaded to the site everyday. I have used YouTube to look up funny videos on occasion, and now to look up videos for school. I have never been the type to spend all my time on a site like that. He showed tons of funny clips showing us the type of videos on YouTube and what people might use it for. Tons of people have used the site for political videos, or just to be heard.

At the end of his video, he is again talking about the word "whatever". In the future, he wants the phrase to be, "I care. Let's do whatever it takes...by whatever means necessary." I hope that we get there one day.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on not being sure about wanting to teach the networked student. This is a bit scary. I am more old fashioned also but it doesnt look like we have a choice in the matter.

    ReplyDelete